Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hellllooo

Well I’ve decided I’m going to be adding a little to my BLOG each night then I will post it all over the weekend.



Saturday:

So I woke up at 6:00 today to catch the school bus to the Matatu station. The Matatu I caught was actually REALLLY nice. It had a flat screen in it and they were playing Kenyan worship songs. I took it into Navasha where I used the internet then bought some groceries for lunch. Thank you for all of your encouraging E-mails. I spent a couple of hours on line then went to the store. It’s pretty crazy how cheap everything is here. A liter of water is about 70cents and a loaf of bread is about 80cents. I bought 2 loafs of bread, a bag of carrots, 5 apples, and a bottle of water for $4. I also was able to write out a sheet of Guitar Chords and find a page online explaining how to read chords and make copies of them to give the kids for lessons. At least now I feel prepared…some what. I start Lessons tomorrow at 3:30. So the Matatu home was hilarious. I counted the amount of seats…13. Then at I counted the amount of people…27. Hah. We doubled occupancy. I wish I could have reached my camera to take a picture. Other than that I relaxed. It was a good day.



Sunday:

I woke up and walked to church. I’m not sure how far it is but its far. They have a storm coming in called El Nino. Sound familiar? Well it started today. During the church service it started to come down hard. After church it was still coming down and everyone was waiting for it to slow before they started the trek home, but I got impatient after about 15 minutes and got back to Tumaini dripping wet. After that I got the guitars tuned up and got the class started. It was hard. First of all I didn’t realize usually when you give lessons you teach something small and say “Ok go home and practice and I’ll see you next week.” But I can’t do that cause they only have 4 working guitars. Also like I thought when I tried to talk to one kid about form or pressure the other kids would start strumming away so I couldn’t hear anything. I have to talk to David about changing some stuff around. Bit of a difficult day. Tomorrow I bake bread, help in the kitchen and teach another Guitar Lesson.



Monday:

Well today was pretty slow. After baking bread I just hung out with the kids and helped out a little in the kitchen. I had some down time today and I just finished a book so I went to look at David’s collection. Not much. I ended up settling on “The Five Love Languages, How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate” hah. So far it’s pretty good. Tomorrow I walk to Kwambekenya, the shamba that’s about an hour and a half walk from here. I’m ready. Busy hard days go by faster than days like today.



Tuesday:

Today did go faster. We went to the shamba and sprayed more insecticide. I was surprised they use it here. When I stopped to eat lunch one of the schools got out and I started hearing all this little kids wisper “MAZUNGU MAZUNGU!!” hah. Then one would be bold enough to come shake my hand and run off laughing. I haven’t shaved since I’ve been here so you can imagine how HUGE my beard is. Tomorrow I’m gonna help out teaching Computer Class then another Guitar lesson.



Wednesday:

Good Day. I got to sleep in a little then help with Computer Class. It’s fun but a little crazy. Like most stuff around here. We had a class of about 33 and 4 computers. In a tiny room. FUNNNN hah. Also I’ve decided that when I’m here for lunch I’ll eat lunch with the kids instead of dinner. Lunch changes. So today I got Potatoes, Cabbage, and beans!! Then I made my Sandwich for dinner with some carrots and crackers. I think this is the first night I’m going to sleep full. Very Nice. Oh and I shaved today. GNight World.



Thursday:

Baked Bread then helped more with computer class. I enjoy baking bread. Well tomorrow I go to the Shamba again then eat dinner with the kids. David told me he is going to Nairobi on Sat and they have a really good Pizza place. Not sure what “really good pizza” is here but I think I’m gonna have him pick one up for me. Well that’s it TTYL.



Friday:

Did a lot of harvesting today but God blessed us with amazing Work Weather. It was overcast but dry. It sprinkled for about 10 minutes. Perfect. Its easier to work when the sun isn’t beating on me. Also tonight the electricity went out so we had to serve dinner in the dark. It was actually really fun. Also we had Gidethi for dinner which is Maze, Potatoes, Cabbage, and Beans. It was good. And I think it even tasted better than normal cause I couldn’t see it. Well tomorrow I go to Navasha to Post this and hopefully have more exciting e-mails from all of you.

Overall this week went very fast. I feel like yesterday I was at church thinking “ok another week!!” Its sad but I always buy something that reminds me of home on Saturdays. Last week it was a Red Bull. Hah. I wrote a pretty sweet song about my Grandpa. Also I’m in the midst of writing a song about a girl. She’s not real. Just in my head. I’lllll beeeee Hommmmeeee for Chriiiiisssssttttmaaaaasssssss…… If only in my dreams. But actually in the flesh.


Ha I’m at the Internet Café replying to e-mails when suddenly the power cuts. So now I’m hoping it will come on later so I can post this.

3 comments:

Judi said...

Sounds like a very busy week, Cory!
I'm glad you like baking bread, I do to. Sounds like your keeping busy and staying safe. I will be at the airport to pick-you-up on Dec 3rd at 4:45 with bells on!
Aiden will be here at the cabin with Robert, so you'll be able to play with him on Friday. Aunt Pammy is having Christmas Party that I will take you to on Sat.
I love you and I keep you in my prayer everyday. Love your mother, Judith

Donna said...

Hey there Cory Way!
As I read your posts I can totally imagine you walking to the church, baking the bread, helping out in the kitchen, ...
And goodness I can feel your homesick heart too. It's amazing that you have given so much of yourself in Swaziland and Kenya -- and I'm excited for you that you are getting to come home in early Dec. What a sweet arrival moment that will be for you and your mom. :)
But I do confess the Taylors are sad you will not be there with us when we arrive Dec. 27th. We had hoped to share some more Kenya time with you friend.
Well -- just wanted you to know we are keeping up with your posts --- praying for you -- and that you are loved.
(PS - Maggie got her hair braided again here in Atlanta -- she missed it too much. Imagine...)

Enjoy every moment friend,
donna

Nancy said...

Hi Cory,
Thanks for sharing your everyday look at life in Kenya with us all. I look forward each weekend to reading your blog. I'm always amazed with how simple and uncomplicated life is there, how much the little things mean and how much we all take for granted.

I'm sure that the kids are glad to get your help with the computer and especially the guitar and worship songs. Don't get discouraged with their progress.

You don't have long to go. Enjoy these last few weeks. Wayne and I will pray for you to stay healthy and joyful. Love to you, Nancy