Thursday, October 22, 2009

Merciful Redeemer

Saturday:

Getting to Naivasha today was a little more difficult than usual. When I got to the Matatu Station they didn’t have any available so they said I would have to take the bus. In the Matatu’s you can only cram so many people and when your crammed to the max they won’t pick any more people up. But in the Bus (I soon found out) there is no maximum occupancy. So we made a lot of stops and took a very long time. Then when we were about a 10 minute drive from Naivasha the bus broke down. So I walked for 15 minutes before finally getting a Matatu. The usual hour and a half trip took about 3 hours. It’s cool though. Something fun to look back on. Oh yeah I hope none of you looked up pictures of Ringworm. Hah. Mine doesn’t look half as bad as the pictures I saw today. In fact none of the kids with it here look close to that bad. Nice day of relaxing with no little girls putting spit on me. Has Obama hooked me up w/ some healthcare yet? I’ve been healthcare free for too long now.

Sunday:

Slept in a little then walked to church. I found out it takes 36 minutes to get there. I timed it so I got there right when it started which was a bad idea because the first half hour you stand. And after the walk it’s hard. So next time I’ll give myself 45 minutes. Also I moved into my new room which is up stairs in the boy’s dorm. I like it better so far cause I can hang out late with the kids. Tonight James and Benson came over to look at past Africa photos. I’m not gonna lie it is a little difficult thinking that I’ll be leaving these kids in less than a month. I’ll miss them more than anything. In the hard times I try to think about them. How for me leaving Africa is so easy, but for them it’s not an option. Not yet at least. They are what keep me going on this journey. One more day till Merciful Redeemer. Another unknown adventure lies ahead, and I’m excited. GNight World.

Monday:

Well the first night in my new room was FREEEEZING. I’m not sure if it was just colder outside or if this room is colder but when I get back I’ll have to find another blanket. Today we (me and Ann) baked bread again. Ann is a mom from the community who comes two days a week to bake. She told me today that she makes 100 Shillings a day. That’s about $1.30. And she works from 8AM to about 2PM. That’s just under 22 cents an hour. Holy Cow! We truly are blessed. Its hard to figure our ratio though. Cause like I said a loaf of bread costs 40 cents, and a coke costs 30 cents. And I know a house is nowhere near what you’d pay in San Diego. I still know that if you figured out ratio’s we’d be living way better off than them. Well Merciful Redeemer tomorrow. Lookin forward to seeing the tree’s we planted. Check Ya Later.

Tuesday:

Didn’t get to Merciful Redeemer till about 5 today. We had to run around Nairobi to get some errands done. I got to go into this store called Uchumi’s and it felt like I was in America. Well I cant take too long writing these blog’s cause there is no electricity here and I only have so much battery. But so far I love it here. I wrote in my journal beside a lantern! Also before dinner during fellowship time the kids sang and it was wonderful. This place is SOO much different from Tumaini. Tumaini has tons of mountains and is very green, here it’s very flat and the only green is in the few gardens. Also I woke up at 3AM to the sound of singing! It turns out 5 girls here wake up at 3AM every morning to pray for an hour and worship! Amazing. That’s all for now. Lay-Trow.

Wednesday:

Today was awesome. I love this place. The weather is way different then Tumaini as well. Most of the day I helped out with Physical Education… that means playing soccer. Scored a goal too! Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that yesterday I went to a Chemist to get tablets for my ringworm and it was the shadiest thing I’ve ever done. I felt like I was doing a drug deal. The guy just took out an unmarked container and dumped some in my hand. Hah. They are probably just Sugar Pills. And today I met a woman who is 128 years old! Or at least that’s what her daughter claims. The generator for the Bore Hole broke so the kids have to go fetch water (about 2 miles away) every day after school. That was an adventure in itself! A guy who lives by the well, who claims he owns it, was drunk and was trying to stop us from getting water after walking 2 miles! Well tomorrow I’m taking a motorcycle into the closest town to update my blog and hopefully find some hot sauce. Oh one more thing. Today one of the guys who works here boiled me some hot water so I could take a shower! It was amazing. Also my first shower from a bucket. I don’t know why but I seriously love this place.

Thursday:

Woke up this morning to a cup of tea w/ milk that I had milked from the Cow last night!

Another update on Saturday.

No comments: