Sunday, September 6, 2009

Morning of Mourning

I woke up this morning and went to check my e-mail. One of my friends told me that another friend Anton Viktor Jungenberg had committed suicide. Here are my thoughts.


Why? Why couldn't I have done anything. Why did he do it? Why wasn't anyone with him yesterday? Who gave him the sleeping pills. Who was the last to see him?

I didn't know Anton as well as I would have liked to. I remember him in youth group in high school and I remember hanging out with him at the Coffee shop a few times. We would watch funny video's online or look at his latest artwork. I really loved him. I have maybe said some bad things about a lot of people but not once about Anton. He had an amazing heart. He seemed to try very hard to make others laugh and be happy. He always made me laugh. I never put him down or made fun of him or laughed AT him. But there's also one other thing I never did. Care. I might have acted like it. I might have asked him questions about his future and been sincerely interested but if I really cared about Anton I would have hung out with him more. I would have invited him to my house. I would have gone to visit him in San Diego after he went to college. But I didn't. I was to caught up in MY life.

The thing that hurts the most is that I really did like Anton. It wasn't like it would have been a burden to hang out with him its just deep inside of me there is a selfish being that doesn't do stuff if it doesn't benefit himself. Anton WAS loved. He might not have felt loved but he was. People might not of known they loved him but now they do. Regret is all around. I can feel it. From across the world I feel the Fallbrook air is quiet and still and dark.

When I heard the news this morning I went into my room and prayed... or tried. Mostly stared at the ceiling thinking. Thinking about stuff like what I could have done to stop this. I later found out that in the world someone commits suicide every 40 Seconds. Who else was sitting in their bed starring at the ceiling? I thought about how sad God must be. Every time one of his children give up.

I don't know if me being on the other side of the world makes this easier or harder to handle. I hate this feeling. This feeling that doesn't have a word. I hate when I get this way because I usually pretend like everything is OK. But everything isn't OK. And there comes a time when you can be selfish. And the selfish side of me says "NO I'm not OK! and I DON'T want to talk about it!"

Where are you Anton? I will never see your face again. Not on earth anyway. Pictures are lifeless... fleshless. And now so are you. I'd do anything to have yesterday back. To write you a note about how important you are. How much I enjoyed the laughs we had. How amazing your art was. But its to late.


Anton had posted a series of comments on Facebook before he passed. They were angry. They were REAL. Stuff like "F*** THIS S***! I LIVE FOR THE THINGS THAT LEAVE ME HOLLOW!" Anton was usually a soft spoken person. But not yesterday. He continued to post comments. That was his first one at 2:47 AM. And his last was at 2:59 AM it said "Anton Viktor Jungenbert is finally going to be free. Lets find out if there really is a hell!" Anton was a Christian and I truly believe he had a relationship with God. I pray that he is looking down on us now. If so he MUST KNOW now that he was loved.

I LOVE AND MISS YOU ANTON. AND I'M SORRY.

13 comments:

Sharla M. said...

Cory, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for your honest post, I think your words could be all of our words at some point in our lives. They are a piercing challenge to my heart to love and care better...

Praying for you and Anton's family...

Sharla

Michelle J. said...

You and Anton's family are in my prayers, Cory.

Anonymous said...

Whoa----this is quite a post--makes us all think about what we haven't said or done for another person, someone who is special and we don't actually say that to them----
I am so thankful that I have another day, and a reminder from you to say, "Cory, you are special, I really enjoyed your presence when we were in Africa. I love your heart and every thing you are doing for those children and ESPECIALLY Joshua's family. That is truly making a difference in the life of another. Love you"

Melba
P.S.
Thanks for reminding me to tell you!

Kaitlin said...

cory way!
this made me cry...
because...
one: I agree I loved anton. but I never let him know he was someone special.
two: he was such a great guy...&& everytime i was with him he made me laugh too.
Three: your thoughts really got to me. && I agree with it all. I really wish I had known what was going on as well && let him know he WAS SOMEONE!

something i too will regret.

thanks for putting the words together, i couldn't really figure out how i felt.\

Cory I love you && you are so amazing to me. you have really helped me through my life && I just want you to know that.

-Kaitlin.

Anonymous said...

please don't feel guilty, Cory. We can all ruminate about things we could have said or done, but he could have chosen to seek help. While friends and families should always be supportive of him, you do not bear the responsibility of everyone's happiness. There were resources that he could have used, but he chose not to. SFSU has good emergency counseling resources for their students, but for some reason he didn't seek it out.

I have such mixed feelings....we all face difficulties, but we also always have to remember that God never gives us something that we cannot handle.

Christi said...

I love you, Cory!

Paula B. said...

Cory-I am sorry to hear about Anton. Your post was very honest and heartfelt. Please don't feel guilty. As others said, there are so many resources that are available and it appears Anton didn't take advantage of them. But your words really ring true about how a kind word or a short time spent with someone can make all the difference in the world. There is no doubt that all of us need to be kinder to one another. Could that have saved Anton? No one will probably ever know. I am glad to hear he was a Christian. He obviously had so much pain but now he is pain free and with Jesus.

Cory Will Way said...

Thank you all. Today is a lot better than yesterday.

Judi Way said...

Cory William Way, I am so sorry. We all have felt the same way you do when a loved one decides to take their own life. Your Dad and I had a good friend named Ray Peterson and we went over and over on why we didn't see it! How blessed Anton must be to see you caring so much for him! Remember, Jesus love is so great that today your friend is with Him and ALL his questions have been answered and he is at peace. So sweetheart, celebrate his homecoming and you WILL see him again..........this I feel for sure. Sleep well sweetheart and remember how much we love you!
Your mother in Idyllwild.
I will put Anton in my garden of peace tomorrow.

Cory Will Way said...

I love you mom. Your the best.

Donna said...

Cory, I love the way God puts words together for us through you. In your music and in your posts. I'm so sorry for the loss of Anton. So sorry he found himself in a place of such anger and pain, and didn't remember the choices that were still there for him.
In our kitchen I have a note taped up on one of the cabinet doors, it says, "be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle".
I'm so thankful you/we can know that even though Anton's last thoughts this side of Heaven were sad and angry, Jesus was waiting for him after that last breath - amazing grace. Thank you God!
You're heart is beautiful friend - and we love you SO much.

Judi Way said...

Good wonderful morning Cory Way!
My heart has been heavy these two days because one of my sons is hurting. To hear happiness in your words today is wonderful! Your brother, Austin is doing well and loves his talks with you and I thank-you for your words to him of encouragement. My heart is happy that you are traveling again and I am jealous you have a web-site and I do not! Love, peace and rock-in-roll! Your mother

Linda said...

Dear Cory, I came across your blog searching my friend's Facebook pages for recent pics of "my" kids in Kenya this past summer. I traveled with HFA last November & am 'dying' to get back to the kids I love there. God put this calling in my heart when I was little & is bringing it to life in my 40's. Go God! The children have totally captured my heart.
I read your post about your friend Anton. A greif that can only be explained by the measure of Christ's redemptive, unfathomable love. What I want to say is that as a mother of 4 teens (yes, that makes me as crazy as all of them!)& a daughter of a man who has(only by the grace of God)survived 5 suicide attempts, it touched my heart. Thank you for your honesty and humility & for not being afraid to share your thoughts about this . . . the world needs to hear & we all need to care.
I appreciate your heart, and the love you have for the Children in Africa too - my heart is so there. My husband and I long for the day we can pack up, pitch a hut, and serve the Lord in that land. I have a passion to ignite our youth to love the lost, the needy and the broken. I am thankful for wonderful youth pastors like you, and I encourage you to walk strong and bold for the Lord. Thank you for sharing Christ's love here on earth in so many ways. - I hope to meet you someday.
As our mentoring Pastor (Bill Johnson - Bethel Church, Redding, Ca) says, "Heaven is the greater reality." Remember, your friend now lives in a land we can't yet see, but that is more real and lasting than ours. "He makes all things new." Keep the fire burning . . . Linda, Petoskey - MI