Saturday, August 29, 2009

Priceless.

--Jesus Was Fed Today--

So I'm not sure if I told you about Joshua. He is a 22 year old kid who works at New Hope Centre. When I was in charge of the "New Hope Group" on the last trip I got to know Joshua very well because we worked a lot together. One of the days we were talking about his family and I mentioned I would love to meet them. So we made plans and today those plans were fulfilled.

First I went to pick Joshua up at New Hope. There happened to be a group of people from all over Swaziland there who were finishing up a week long training camp. Rachel (who works at new hope) said "I'll be leaving in about an hour, so if anyone wants a ride down to the main road let me know" And I was like "Yeah and I got a truck so I can take a bunch of you too." Then they found out we were going to Manzini (where Joshua's family lived) and decided they would just stay in the back all the way there. I was praying the whole time. Africa is already scary enough without 6 ladies in the back of my truck. We had to go through crazy congested intersections and on the freeway. God protected us.

So we get to Joshua's house and I got to meet his Mom (Janet), 2 out of 7 brothers and his Grandfather, Alfred. Janet told me that Alfred was getting very sick and she would like me to pray with him. When he came out with his cane he had the biggest smile on his face. He is 72 and has pain in his knees and back. I think he's the oldest man I've met in Swaziland. He told me stuff like "I got married at 23 and my oldest grandson is 27 and still doesn't have a girlfriend!!" We shared so many laughs. After out time was through Janet brought out a avocado that was far from ripe. She said "we don't have much but we want you to have this.... you must sit it in the sun for a while before you can eat it." She had tears in her eyes as she thanked me so much for what I had done. All I had done was come to there house. They must have said sorry 3 times for not being able to offer me food. Then me and Joshua went into town to get lunch. He told me that the corn that they harvested last year has just finished and they were praying for food. I suddenly knew why God called me to this family's house.

So after lunch I told Joshua I wanted to buy some food for his family. We went and bought:

10KG of rice......................63Rand
1 bag of onions...................11Rand
1 Gallon of Milk.................25Rand
7KG Bag Of Potatoes........42Rand
1Bag of Frozen Chicken....36Rand
Total...................................177Rand ($22.12)

We went back to the house and Janet couldn't believe her eyes. She brought me inside and showed me what they were planning for dinner. She had picked some leaves of the Avocado tree and was boiling them. They were going to eat leaves for dinner and they didn't even ASK me for ANYTHING. I'm not sure what they are planning to eat for the next week, month, or year. But I know that God Provided for the next couple days.

Today was one of the most rewarding days of my life.

Anyone who donated to my trip played a part in this. You fed Jesus today.

$22 is what today cost. And what I got in return was a Joy you can put a price tag on.

Peace&Love...WERE SPREAD TODAY!



From Left to Right:
Benjamin, Joshua, Alfred, Janet, Simbosiso, Me.

5 comments:

Sharla M. said...

That is the one of the most touching but convicting posts I've ever read... You are letting Jesus shine through your life and WOW...what a picture it is!!

Praying for you...
Sharla

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you were on my mind so much this a.m. In fact I mentioned it on your last post, you had not yet posted this!

Jesus said, "Feed My sheep", you did!

I know our whole group misses you.
Melba

Christi said...

I love you & your beautiful heart! I am shedding tears of compassion & joy - God is so Amazing!!!

Michelle J. said...

That is a very moving story, Cory. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jacqui Wheelhouse said...

CORY!! Joshua is a dear friend and to see his family blessed me so much today. We shared dinner together at Litsemba and I bought his Giraffe he was making. He is very special. Take care of him while you are there. He needs Godly men in his life to encourage him. Especially right now. Thanks for sharing this story! Totally made my day! You rock!